I hope vacation is going well for you and you children.
A few quick notes for Algebra II (5).
- We had our first quiz since the midterms on Fractional Exponents, Composition and Inverses. The average was a solid A and it was the best performance by all students in Algebra II 5 to date.
- Students spent time before vacation making videos on Educreations on the entire unit on functions. Ask your son or daughter to share with you the video(s) they made. It was a really great to watch them in action.
- MCAS is not for a few months, but I want to let you all know that I will be doing some targeted MCAS practice in class, including at least an entire practice test and a mini unit on Probability and Statistics. The former has made for quite a successful MCAS track record in the past for students in Level 5, and the latter is a topic that students need the most practice in.
- After vacation we'll be doing a short unit on Rational Functions and we'll have a test on Rational Functions and Functions together. The students already know this and the videos they made will be a good review for them.
- I had a parent recently tell me that they did not think their student had a textbook in our class. To be sure, our notes/curriculum follow the school's textbook, but I have made my own version of the notes over the past four years teaching this class. The impression that we aren't using the textbook is a reasonable one since I have made worksheets and problem sets for most of our work together. Students have access to an online version of the textbook as well. Our topics remaining are:
- Functions (Ch. 6)
- Rational Functions (Ch. 8)
- Logs and Exponentials (Ch. 7)
- Sequences and Series (Ch. 12)
- Conic Sections (Ch. 9)